Canada aborts US trade talks, warns India on tariff negotiations
Canada halted negotiations with the United States after Washington offered limited tariff cuts tied to concessions, prompting Ottawa to plan retaliatory duties; an analyst says India should learn from this as it negotiates its own deal.
On August 21, 2026, Canada terminated its bilateral trade negotiations with the United States, pulling its delegation after realizing Washington's offer limited tariff relief in exchange for concessions that could undermine Canadian manufacturing and sovereignty. The US described the breakdown as a missed opportunity and maintained 50% tariffs on Canadian products, while US Trade Representative Jamieson Greer claimed Canada declined an offer of “best treatment” for major exporters.
Ottawa responded by planning “dollar-for-dollar” retaliatory tariffs beginning September 8 on a range of US imports. The talks, which began in February 2025, aimed to address a series of Trump-era tariffs, including 50% duties on steel, aluminum, copper, and 25% on automobiles, among others. Analyst Ajay Srivastava of the Global Trade Research Initiative says the episode serves as a cautionary tale for India, urging New Delhi to demand clear, enforceable tariff cuts before conceding on agriculture, digital regulation, critical minerals, or procurement in its pending US agreement. He stresses that any deal lacking firm safeguards could leave India vulnerable to future unilateral US measures.
Why it matters
The collapse shows how tariff concessions tied to sovereignty can derail trade talks, a lesson for India’s pending US agreement.
How this story developed
- Aug 11 Canadian trade minister meets U.S. counterpart again as tariff deadline looms
- Aug 19 Trump announced a three‑day suspension of the 50% tariffs on Canadian goods.
- Aug 20 The tariff suspension was extended to remain in place through the end of Aug. 21.
- Aug 20 A trade agreement was reached to suspend the threatened 50% tariffs, with terms not made public.
- Aug 22 A second day of talks was held in Washington as the Saturday tariff deadline loomed.
- Aug 22 The United States moved from pausing the tariffs to announcing they will be imposed after the talks failed.
- Aug 22 Canada abruptly ended negotiations with the United States after Washington introduced last-minute changes that Prime Minister Mark Carney called unfair and uneconomic, sending the trade team back to Ottawa.
- Aug 22 The United States invoked the previously unused Section 338 of the 1930 Tariff Act to impose the tariffs.
- Aug 22 Canada said it will roll out retaliatory tariffs on September 8.
- Aug 22 President Donald Trump enacted 50% duties on a wide array of Canadian goods worth about $20 billion, and Prime Minister Mark Carney announced equivalent counter-tariffs starting Sept. 8.
- Aug 22 Canada set September 8 as the effective date for its retaliatory tariffs.
- Aug 23 U.S. Trade Representative Jamieson Greer said the United States had offered reduced steel, aluminium and automotive duties as part of the stalled negotiations.
- Aug 23 Trump publicly criticized Canada’s retaliatory tariffs on his social‑media platform.
- Aug 23 Alberta premier Danielle Smith called for a return to trade talks.
In this story
Related stories
19 in this thread