Canada pulls out of US trade talks over new tariff demands and cultural safeguards
Canada halted negotiations with the United States after Washington added demands that Ottawa called unfair, recalling its negotiators to Ottawa.
On Saturday, Canada ended trade negotiations with the United States, recalling its team after Washington introduced additional demands that Ottawa deemed unfair and financially unsustainable. Prime Minister Mark Carney framed the decision as Canada asserting control over its own affairs, noting that the U.S. proposals would reduce tariff relief for Canadian vehicles, restrict Canada’s ability to pursue other trade agreements, and threaten protections for the French language and Quebec culture.
The United States has already levied 50% tariffs on $20 billion of Canadian exports, and Canada intends to impose targeted tariffs on sectors such as steel, dairy and electronics beginning September 8. Carney accused Washington of wielding economic integration as a weapon and pledged a "dollar-for-dollar" response. U.S. trade chief Jamieson Greer defended the measures as necessary to protect American workers and supply chains. The collapse raises concerns about the stability of the broader North American trade framework and strains a historically cooperative bilateral relationship.
Why it matters
The standoff threatens billions in cross-border trade and could disrupt key industries in both nations.
How this story developed
- Aug 11 Canadian trade minister meets U.S. counterpart again as tariff deadline looms
- Aug 13 Ontario Premier Doug Ford said his province would allow U.S. alcoholic drinks back on shelves only if a trade agreement safeguards sectors like steel, autos and agriculture.
- Aug 17 Canadian trade officials, including Dominic LeBlanc and Janice Charette, are meeting U.S. counterparts in Washington to avoid the tariffs. President Donald Trump has threatened a 50% levy on items ranging from alcohol to hockey sticks, invoking Section 338 of the Smoot-Hawley Act. Canada also seeks relief from Section 232 duties on autos, lumber, steel and aluminum. The U.S. Chamber of Commerce warned that higher tariffs would harm both economies, while the Canadian Labour Congress urged a fair agreement for workers.
- Aug 18 Prime Minister Mark Carney said he will speak with President Trump before the tariff deadline.
- Aug 19 Trump announced a three‑day suspension of the 50% tariffs on Canadian goods.
- Aug 20 The tariff suspension was extended to remain in place through the end of Aug. 21.
- Aug 20 A trade agreement was reached to suspend the threatened 50% tariffs, with terms not made public.
- Aug 22 A second day of talks was held in Washington as the Saturday tariff deadline loomed.
- Aug 22 The United States moved from pausing the tariffs to announcing they will be imposed after the talks failed.
- Aug 22 Canada abruptly ended negotiations with the United States after Washington introduced last-minute changes that Prime Minister Mark Carney called unfair and uneconomic, sending the trade team back to Ottawa.
- Aug 22 The United States invoked the previously unused Section 338 of the 1930 Tariff Act to impose the tariffs.
- Aug 22 Canada said it will roll out retaliatory tariffs on September 8.
- Aug 22 Canada set September 8 as the effective date for its retaliatory tariffs.
- Aug 23 U.S. Trade Representative Jamieson Greer said the United States had offered reduced steel, aluminium and automotive duties as part of the stalled negotiations.
In this story
Related stories
19 in this thread