Court decision puts eligibility of four UND football players in doubt
A federal appeals court reversed a stay, leaving four University of North Dakota athletes without confirmed eligibility for the 2026 season.
Six days before the Fighting Hawks' 2026 opener, a federal appeals panel reversed a prior stay, removing the NCAA’s protection for four former Class of 2022 players. The decision in Wisne v. NCAA means that, absent a state-court order, Jonnie Wiltshire, Avery Scott, Jy Martin and David Neuberger are currently ineligible to compete. Wiltshire and Scott had earlier obtained temporary restraining orders from a Grand Forks County district court, allowing them to join fall camp, but now must wait for a preliminary injunction hearing to determine if they can play.
Martin and Neuberger entered camp after the original Wisne ruling and remain on the roster pending further legal clarification. UND head coach Eric Schmidt learned of the ruling during practice and said more information is needed, while one outlet director Bill Chaves said the department is reviewing the situation. The team is scheduled to face Long Island University at the Alerus Center on Thursday night.
Why it matters
The ruling could affect UND's roster and competitive outlook for the upcoming football season.
In this story
