EU forces Meta and TikTok to tighten disinformation controls after Ceuta influx
The European Commission secured voluntary commitments from Meta and TikTok to boost content moderation following the mass crossing of migrants into Ceuta.
In response to the sudden surge of migrants crossing into Ceuta from Morocco, the European Commission reached a deal with Meta and TikTok to intensify their moderation of alleged disinformation. The arrangement, triggered under the EU's Digital Services Act, establishes an ad-hoc coordination system linking the platforms, Europol and on-the-ground fact-checkers to quickly identify and suppress harmful narratives, such as rumors that the border was open.
A spokesperson for the Commission, Balazs Ujvari, said the mechanism was voluntarily activated by the companies amid the crisis. Meta confirmed it has a team monitoring Ceuta in real time and removing content that breaches its rules, including posts offering smuggling services. The move follows criticism of Spain's open-border policies and comes as the EU threatens fines of up to 6 % of global revenue for non-compliance. Observers note that only X has faced substantial penalties under the DSA so far, sparking debate over enforcement consistency.
Why it matters
It shows how the EU is using regulatory pressure to compel major tech firms to police misinformation during migration emergencies.
How this story developed
- Aug 3 Morocco attributes Ceuta migrant surge to online misinformation and trafficking networks
- Aug 7 The death toll has risen to at least 80 and the enclave’s shelters have reached capacity.
- Aug 7 Spain said it will consider matching Italy's traveler controls unless Rome ends its recent border checks on arrivals from Spain by Sunday.
- Aug 7 Spanish law‑enforcement agencies are monitoring public social‑media groups for indications of a planned mass crossing into Ceuta on Aug 15.
- Aug 8 Italy announced the extension of its border checks until at least August 15.
- Aug 10 Thousands gathered in the Spanish enclave of Ceuta to protest the government's handling of a recent influx of migrants from Morocco and call for stricter border enforcement.
- Aug 10 EU interior ministers held an emergency meeting on border security.
- Aug 11 Spanish interior authorities are monitoring two public Facebook groups of over 74,000 members for signs of a coordinated crossing on August 15.
- Aug 12 Italy temporarily halted regular air and sea traffic from Spain under Schengen rules.
- Aug 14 Spanish authorities said they are continuing to monitor social‑media groups for any further crossing attempts.
- Aug 15 Moroccan authorities arrested 111 people trying to reach Spain's Ceuta enclave on Aug 15, as both sides tightened border controls following recent mass-crossing attempts.
- Aug 16 Moroccan officials warned that anyone involved in organizing the crossing could be prosecuted.
- Aug 16 New reports indicate the number of people arrested may be as high as nearly three hundred.
- Aug 18 Foreign minister José Manuel Albares declared that all migrants still in Ceuta will be returned, while local officials dispute the number remaining.
In this story
Related stories
16 in this thread