Italian defence minister says no evidence of Russian involvement in Colleferro explosion
Italy's defence minister stated that investigators have found no sign of Russian sabotage in the recent blast at the KNDS Ammo Italy plant near Rome.
Last week, a fire at the KNDS Ammo Italy munitions plant in Colleferro, near Rome, escalated into an explosion, though no one was hurt. Defence Minister Guido Crosetto said the government has found no indication that Russia was behind the incident, characterising it as an internal problem. He made the comment to the news agency Adnkronos on Monday.
Opposition Azione leader Carlo Calenda called for a swift parliamentary briefing, arguing that the public should not be left guessing about a potential Russian hybrid attack. Prosecutors are reportedly probing possible connections to similar ammunition-factory incidents in Bulgaria, though investigators declined to comment to one outlet. The plant, owned by the Franco-German defence consortium KNDS, manufactures medium and large calibre ammunition and solid propellants, and it has said the cause remains under investigation.
Why it matters
The blast raises questions about industrial safety and potential foreign interference in European defence facilities.
In this story
