Trump escalates U.S.-Canada trade clash with new 50% tariffs
President Donald Trump imposed 50% tariffs on a range of Canadian imports, prompting Prime Minister Mark Carney to announce matching retaliatory duties.
President Donald Trump’s latest trade action imposes a 50% tariff on a selection of Canadian goods, affecting roughly five percent of Canada’s annual exports to the United States. This follows a series of earlier measures, including 25% and 35% duties, and a Supreme Court ruling that struck down some emergency-power tariffs. Negotiations to renew the USMCA have stalled, and the U.S. has indicated it is not ready to extend the pact beyond its current term.
In reaction, Prime Minister Mark Carney pledged to apply equivalent tariffs on the same U.S. goods starting September 8. The escalating tit-for-tat tariffs have created growing uncertainty for cross-border businesses and consumers.
Why it matters
The new tariffs could disrupt trade flows and raise costs for consumers and firms in both countries.
How this story developed
- Aug 11 Canadian trade minister meets U.S. counterpart again as tariff deadline looms
- Aug 13 Ontario Premier Doug Ford said his province would allow U.S. alcoholic drinks back on shelves only if a trade agreement safeguards sectors like steel, autos and agriculture.
- Aug 17 Canadian trade officials, including Dominic LeBlanc and Janice Charette, are meeting U.S. counterparts in Washington to avoid the tariffs. President Donald Trump has threatened a 50% levy on items ranging from alcohol to hockey sticks, invoking Section 338 of the Smoot-Hawley Act. Canada also seeks relief from Section 232 duties on autos, lumber, steel and aluminum. The U.S. Chamber of Commerce warned that higher tariffs would harm both economies, while the Canadian Labour Congress urged a fair agreement for workers.
- Aug 18 Prime Minister Mark Carney said he will speak with President Trump before the tariff deadline.
- Aug 19 Trump announced a three‑day suspension of the 50% tariffs on Canadian goods.
- Aug 20 The tariff suspension was extended to remain in place through the end of Aug. 21.
- Aug 20 A trade agreement was reached to suspend the threatened 50% tariffs, with terms not made public.
- Aug 22 A second day of talks was held in Washington as the Saturday tariff deadline loomed.
- Aug 22 The United States moved from pausing the tariffs to announcing they will be imposed after the talks failed.
- Aug 22 The United States invoked the previously unused Section 338 of the 1930 Tariff Act to impose the tariffs.
In this story
Related stories
19 in this thread