U.S. retailers fear 50% tariffs could force break with Canadian suppliers
American shop owners say a 50% duty on Canadian goods would push them to abandon long-standing supplier relationships.
U.S. specialty retailers depend on Canadian producers for cheeses, chocolates, spices and other artisan goods, and a looming 50% tariff on those imports could force a break in long-standing partnerships. Julia Hallman, who runs Formaggio Kitchen in Cambridge, Massachusetts, has previously managed smaller duties by raising prices or accepting lower margins, but says the new rate would eventually become unsustainable. Sarah Paxton, co-owner of the Richmond, Va., furniture store LaDIFF, faces a similar dilemma and notes that a supplier, Amisco, has offered to cover tariffs for a limited period.
Both entrepreneurs stress the emotional and financial strain of potentially ending relationships with Canadian families they consider friends. Government officials from the United States and Canada met at the ministerial level, with Mark Carney speaking to Donald Trump about ongoing trade talks, but no resolution was announced before the deadline. In anticipation, Hallman stocked her shop’s basement with non-perishable items, hoping to buffer any immediate impact.
Why it matters
The proposed tariff could reshape cross-border supply chains and raise prices for U.S. consumers of specialty foods and goods.
How this story developed
- Jul 23 White House signals upcoming tariff announcement as Trump readies new trade measures
- Aug 6 Administration refunded roughly $100 billion of previously collected tariffs and imposed new 10‑12.5% duties on imports from about 60‑80 countries.
- Aug 11 Canada's trade minister Dominic LeBlanc is set to meet U.S. Trade Representative Jamieson Greer in Washington, the third face-to-face encounter in three weeks, as the Aug. 19 deadline for steep new tariffs approaches.
- Aug 13 The White House issued an assessment on August 13 that flagged over 40 foreign partners as high‑risk for facilitating tariff evasion.
- Aug 13 U.S. Court of International Trade unanimously upheld the administration's authority to eliminate the $800 de minimis exemption.
- Aug 18 Prime Minister Mark Carney said he will speak with President Trump before the tariff deadline.
In this story
Related stories
21 in this thread