White House press secretary Karoline Leavitt says she will leave post and re‑join MAGA Inc.
Karoline Leavitt, the 28‑year‑old White House press secretary, announced she will depart the role at the end of the month and return to MAGA Inc., the super PAC that supports President Donald Trump. She told reporters on Air Force One during a South Carolina rally that she will travel to Dallas for the Republican convention in early September. Leavitt had earlier said she was stepping down to devote more time to her family after giving birth to her second child in May.
The White House said the search for her replacement remains open, with insiders noting that past press secretaries have been women and that several female staffers are being considered. President Trump praised Leavitt’s work and mentioned possible successors during the briefings.
How this was covered
- Right-leaning outlets covered this 14h later
- Left-leaning coverage is the most divided on this story
- Coverage peaked at 6 outlets in a single hour
Why it matters
A change in the White House’s top spokesperson and her move to a major pro‑Trump political action committee could shift how the administration communicates with the public and voters.
How the sides frame it
LOW AGREEMENTLeft-leaning coverage frames Leavitt’s exit as a symptom of internal chaos and Trump’s increasing harshness, while right-leaning coverage treats it as a routine resignation and highlights her future role in MAGA and successor speculation; Centrist coverage simply reports the resignation and lists possible replacements.
LEFT
Leavitt’s departure is portrayed as part of a broader pattern of internal drama and a harsher Trump administration.
RIGHT
The exit is depicted as a normal transition with emphasis on her move to MAGA activities and speculation about her replacement.
The left emphasises
- “messaging operation is being distracted by a series of internal personnel issues”
- “chief factor behind the turnover is a marked increase in the president’s harshness”
- “Leavitt’s limited media access and the administration’s broader pattern of restricting press interaction”
The right emphasises
- “Leavitt will miss the job but is eager to join MAGA Inc.”
- “The move signals a shift from a senior communications role”
- “Two reasons why Trumpworld thinks Leavitt's replacement will be a woman”
How this story developed
- Aug 12 Scott Jennings Emerges as Leading Candidate to Succeed Karoline Leavitt as White House Press Secretary
- Aug 14 Jen Psaki publicly criticized Leavitt, calling her a liar and alleging she avoided tough questions.
- Aug 16 Multiple senior officials, including White House counsel and a deputy national security adviser, have resigned as Leavitt prepares to leave.
- Aug 16 Biographer Maggie Haberman said President Donald Trump kept aide Natalie Harp close as his “human binkie” while slipping out of Turkey in July.
- Aug 18 White House officials issued a rebuke following Ossoff’s rally comments about Natalie Harp.
- Aug 18 White House officials used profanity‑laden insults toward Ossoff in their rebuttal.
- Aug 18 Leavitt announced her resignation effective at month’s end.
- Aug 18 It was disclosed that Harp is a bone‑cancer survivor who attributes her recovery to the 2018 Right‑to‑Try Act.
- Aug 18 Megyn Kelly condemned Senator Jon Ossoff’s remarks about President Trump’s close aide Natalie Harp, calling the attack on the 35-year-old cancer survivor despicable.
- Aug 19 Scott Jennings reacted angrily on his broadcast after Ossoff mentioned Harp.
- Aug 20 Trump ordered an internal inquiry after private letters with Harp were leaked.
- Aug 20 Ossoff’s Atlanta rally comment about Harp provoked a profane tweet from White House communications director Steven Cheung and condemnations from several conservative figures.
- Aug 20 Ossoff doubled down on his remarks at the rally, further emphasizing the innuendo about Harp.
- Aug 22 Leavitt announced she will join MAGA Inc. after leaving the White House.
Related stories
18 in this thread