WNBA chief says outsiders are exploiting transgender debate to create division
WNBA Commissioner Cathy Engelbert warned that external actors are using the league's transgender-athlete controversy to stir conflict, speaking before a Dallas game.
Cathy Engelbert, the commissioner of the WNBA, told a gathering in Dallas that individuals unfamiliar with the league are attempting to weaponize the debate over transgender athletes for divisive purposes. Her remarks came before the Indiana Fever's loss to the Dallas Wings at the American Airlines Center, where protesters had assembled following comments by Fever forward Sophie Cunningham supporting bans on transgender girls and women in women's sports.
The WNBA had earlier released a statement criticizing bad-faith efforts to turn the eligibility issue into a platform for marginalization. While the league's collective bargaining agreement restricts players to women, it does not define gender identity or sex assigned at birth. Earlier this month, former NBA players Enes Kanter Freedom and Royce White announced they consider themselves women and are eligible for the WNBA draft. Engelbert reiterated that the league will discuss transgender participation and condemned any hateful attacks, noting that such controversy arises when the WNBA becomes a prominent media product.
Why it matters
The league's stance influences how professional women's sports address transgender inclusion and public discourse.
How this story developed
- Aug 10 WNBA chief outlines league's plan to address transgender athlete debate
- Aug 16 The WNBA subreddit now filters any mention of Sophie Cunningham’s name.
In this story
Related stories
12 in this thread