Conservative MP pushes for full disclosure of abandoned Canada-U.S. trade proposal
Conservative shadow minister Shuvaloy Majumdar wrote to Trade Minister Dominic LeBlanc demanding the release of all information on the Canada-U.S. trade deal that collapsed, saying Canadians need it for public debate.
In a letter to Trade Minister Dominic LeBlanc, Conservative MP Shuvaloy Majumdar asked that the government publish the complete details of the Canada-U.S. trade agreement that fell apart last Friday. Majumdar emphasized that the party is not after confidential negotiating strategies, but rather information already possessed by both governments, which he says is essential for a public debate on the way forward. Prime Minister Mark Carney explained that his administration walked away because the United States presented demands that would limit Canada’s ability to pursue other trade deals and compromise its sovereignty.
In response, Carney announced plans for reciprocal tariffs on U.S. goods. The dispute has drawn support from provincial leaders and business analysts, who note growing anxiety about its economic impact. Opposition leader Pierre Poilievre called for unity against one-sided tariffs and said he will seek a discussion with the prime minister. The government indicated that briefings for opposition leaders are likely to occur early next week.
Why it matters
Transparency on the failed trade talks will shape Canada’s economic strategy and public response to new tariffs.
How this story developed
- Aug 11 Canadian trade minister meets U.S. counterpart again as tariff deadline looms
- Aug 19 Trump announced a three‑day suspension of the 50% tariffs on Canadian goods.
- Aug 20 The tariff suspension was extended to remain in place through the end of Aug. 21.
- Aug 20 A trade agreement was reached to suspend the threatened 50% tariffs, with terms not made public.
- Aug 22 A second day of talks was held in Washington as the Saturday tariff deadline loomed.
- Aug 22 The United States moved from pausing the tariffs to announcing they will be imposed after the talks failed.
- Aug 22 Canada abruptly ended negotiations with the United States after Washington introduced last-minute changes that Prime Minister Mark Carney called unfair and uneconomic, sending the trade team back to Ottawa.
- Aug 22 The United States invoked the previously unused Section 338 of the 1930 Tariff Act to impose the tariffs.
- Aug 22 Canada said it will roll out retaliatory tariffs on September 8.
- Aug 22 President Donald Trump enacted 50% duties on a wide array of Canadian goods worth about $20 billion, and Prime Minister Mark Carney announced equivalent counter-tariffs starting Sept. 8.
- Aug 22 Canada set September 8 as the effective date for its retaliatory tariffs.
- Aug 23 U.S. Trade Representative Jamieson Greer said the United States had offered reduced steel, aluminium and automotive duties as part of the stalled negotiations.
- Aug 23 Trump publicly criticized Canada’s retaliatory tariffs on his social‑media platform.
- Aug 23 Alberta premier Danielle Smith called for a return to trade talks.
In this story
Related stories
20 in this thread