Trump's tariff strategy unravels as beef duties are lifted and allies push back
President Donald Trump has begun reversing key tariffs, including beef imports, amid legal challenges and internal disputes, signaling trouble for his trade agenda.
President Donald Trump’s hallmark trade-war approach is showing signs of reversal, highlighted by his decision to eliminate beef import tariffs in a bid to reduce grocery prices after long-standing claims that tariffs have no consumer impact. Ongoing legal challenges and a contentious White House session where trade adviser Peter Navarro and Commerce Secretary Howard Lutnick clashed with industry representative Greer over aluminum duties underscore mounting uncertainty.
Former negotiator Wendy Cutler called the move a major setback, noting that other nations are closely monitoring U.S. demands as the administration finalizes ten reciprocal trade agreements with countries such as the United Kingdom, Japan and Malaysia. Recent concessions to Canada, including lower tariffs on industrial metals, have prompted calls for further revisions, while efforts to bar Canadian-made heavy trucks from tariff reductions have heightened bilateral tensions. Labor Department figures reveal a loss of 75,000 manufacturing jobs since the beginning of Trump’s second term, and economists argue the tariffs have fostered economic instability rather than growth.
Why it matters
The rollback of Trump’s tariffs signals a shift in U.S. trade policy that could affect global markets and domestic employment.
How this story developed
- Aug 11 Canadian trade minister meets U.S. counterpart again as tariff deadline looms
- Aug 19 Trump announced a three‑day suspension of the 50% tariffs on Canadian goods.
- Aug 20 The tariff suspension was extended to remain in place through the end of Aug. 21.
- Aug 20 A trade agreement was reached to suspend the threatened 50% tariffs, with terms not made public.
- Aug 22 A second day of talks was held in Washington as the Saturday tariff deadline loomed.
- Aug 22 The United States moved from pausing the tariffs to announcing they will be imposed after the talks failed.
- Aug 22 Canada abruptly ended negotiations with the United States after Washington introduced last-minute changes that Prime Minister Mark Carney called unfair and uneconomic, sending the trade team back to Ottawa.
- Aug 22 The United States invoked the previously unused Section 338 of the 1930 Tariff Act to impose the tariffs.
- Aug 22 Canada said it will roll out retaliatory tariffs on September 8.
- Aug 22 President Donald Trump enacted 50% duties on a wide array of Canadian goods worth about $20 billion, and Prime Minister Mark Carney announced equivalent counter-tariffs starting Sept. 8.
- Aug 22 Canada set September 8 as the effective date for its retaliatory tariffs.
- Aug 23 U.S. Trade Representative Jamieson Greer said the United States had offered reduced steel, aluminium and automotive duties as part of the stalled negotiations.
- Aug 23 Trump publicly criticized Canada’s retaliatory tariffs on his social‑media platform.
- Aug 23 Alberta premier Danielle Smith called for a return to trade talks.
In this story
Related stories
20 in this thread