Trump says Ed Martin will exit DOJ to aid Republican election lawsuits
President Donald Trump announced that Ed Martin is leaving the Justice Department to provide legal support for Republicans in upcoming election disputes.
President Donald Trump revealed on Friday that Ed Martin will resign from his Justice Department post to join private legal efforts on behalf of Republican candidates for the 2026 midterm contests and the 2028 presidential election. Martin, a staunch Trump supporter, previously acted as interim U.S. attorney for the District of Columbia and was appointed to his current role by the president. He has consistently championed claims of fraud in the 2020 election and led the department’s Weaponization Working Group.
In a Truth Social post, Trump praised Martin’s past service and asserted that his new work will advance “free, fair, and honest elections” and protect constitutional rights. The move follows months of Republican preparation for potential fraud litigation surrounding the 2026 midterms, while Democrats have signaled intentions to investigate Trump’s business affairs and consider impeachment if they regain congressional majorities.
Why it matters
The shift moves a senior DOJ lawyer into partisan election litigation, signaling intensified legal battles over future U.S. elections.
How this story developed
- Aug 12 Attorney General Blanche Faces Pressure to Reopen Disputed Reflecting Pool Vandalism Case
- Aug 13 The World War II Memorial in Washington, D.C. was defaced on Thursday with bubble foam and spray-painted slogans.
- Aug 14 President Trump publicly denounced the vandalism on his social platform.
- Aug 14 Melissa Farris was detained on charges linked to the World War II Memorial vandalism.
- Aug 17 Blanche said he will factor the President’s view into any decisions about reviving federal cases.
- Aug 17 Melissa L. Farris was formally arrested and charged with two felony offenses.
- Aug 19 The Justice Department filed motions defending its indictment of former FBI Director James Comey, asserting that his Instagram post of seashells arranged as “86 47” could be interpreted as a threat toward Donald Trump.
- Aug 19 Blanche said he will factor President Trump's viewpoint when deciding whether to revive the dismissed Reflecting Pool case.
- Aug 19 The DOJ filing disclosed that Ellis Boyle independently decided to pursue the indictment and only briefed Attorney General Todd Blanche the day before the grand jury presentation.
- Aug 19 Michael Cohen announced he will interview Donald Trump on his WABC radio program, marking their first public conversation in eight years.
- Aug 20 Cohen announced the interview will be split into two broadcast segments on Thursday and Sunday.
- Aug 21 Cohen has resubmitted a pardon application to the White House.
In this story
Related stories
15 in this thread