Trump’s Secret Aircraft Exchange Draws International Mockery and Press Secretary Resignation
After the NATO summit in Turkey, reports surfaced that President Donald Trump left the Air Force One that had been gifted by Qatar and boarded a different military jet in a covert maneuver. The episode has been lampooned by Iranian state media, which posted memes and billboards ridiculing the president, and by comedian John Oliver, who mocked the alleged swap on his show. In the wake of the controversy, White House press secretary Karoline Leavitt announced her resignation, saying she was stepping down to spend more time with her family.
Trump responded on his social‑media platform, expressing respect for the departing official. Details of the intelligence that prompted the move and the exact logistics remain disputed among officials.
How this was covered
- Right-leaning outlets covered this 16h later
Why it matters
The incident raises questions about presidential security decisions and how they are portrayed in domestic and foreign media.
How this story developed
- Jul 20 U.S. and Iran intensify air strikes over Strait of Hormuz, diplomacy stalls
- Aug 14 Democratic officials accused Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth of lying about the dire conditions on the USS Abraham Lincoln, where sailors faced supply shortages and a crew member fell overboard.
- Aug 14 Two Abu Dhabi National Oil Company tankers were struck in the Strait of Hormuz, prompting the United States to warn it can sustain an indefinite naval blockade of Iran.
- Aug 14 Pakistan’s foreign ministry expressed optimism about reaching an agreement to reopen the strait.
- Aug 14 At a rally in Garden City, New York, Donald Trump announced plans to designate the Strait of Hormuz as U.S. territory, a statement that raised questions about a possible policy shift in the ongoing war with Iran.
- Aug 14 U.S. officials said the Navy can maintain a rotating blockade of Iran indefinitely.
- Aug 15 Treasury Secretary announced upcoming financial measures targeting Iran.
- Aug 15 A package of unprecedented economic actions against Iran is slated for announcement next week.
- Aug 15 An unnamed White House official described Trump’s claim to annex the strait as a joke.
- Aug 15 Iran’s deputy foreign minister Kazem Gharibabadi said the Strait of Hormuz will remain under Iranian command until the United States accepts defeat.
- Aug 16 Iran and Oman move toward a bilateral accord outlining navigation routes for vessels in the Strait of Hormuz.
- Aug 16 UAE cited UN Security Council resolution 2817 as being violated by the latest attack.
- Aug 16 Acting Navy secretary Hung Cao announced the carrier will be relieved soon.
- Aug 17 Karoline Leavitt’s resignation was announced following the aircraft‑exchange controversy.
Related stories
14 in this thread